Sunday, January 2, 2011

January 2nd


My refuge

On New Years Eve my Granddad passed away. 

It wasn't a surprise - more of a long drawn out process. He had been disintegrating for a long time, slowly fading away, and mentally he had been gone for months. It was the last act of 2010 - a year that had been a challenge anyway and I have been left feeling depleted and weary. 

When I feel the way I do now, the only thing that I can think to do is create something. The feeling of fabric in my hands and the sound of the machine provide a very real comfort. What I am making ceases to be important and I am able to silence the sad voice in my mind and concentrate on the placement of seams and the clipping of threads. I feel connected to generations of women before me and that makes me feel stronger. 

No comments:

Post a Comment